Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Give Me A Break! Take shorter showers? Ride a bike to work?

Well as my blog name suggests, I am all over the 'green' and read anything to that matter. I recently read an article "10 Tips For Going Green" and while most of the tips made sense, a few that I keep reading over and over have rubbed me the wrong way. I am sure you all have come across this same article somewhere in the last year or so...??

While I consider myself living what I call "a light green lifestyle" and do whatever I can, one thing I won't do is take shorter showers or ride a bike to work.

Reason 1: I enjoy taking a long hot shower! That's the way I "relax" after a day of work and kids!

Reason 2: If I take a shorter shower then get on my bike to go to work, by the time I get there, I will need ANOTHER shower! So where's the savings??

Don't get me wrong, I am all for saving the environment and preach the "green" all day in my store but there are other ways to "reduce your carbon footprint". I have changed all my cleaning products, replaced my AC unit with a more efficient one (13 SEER), replaced most of my lightbulbs with CFL's, recycle like mad, and refuse to use plastic bags even at the mall and bring my own green bags everwhere I go.

Some people have done more, some people have done less...but I agree you must do something!

I guess the message here is do what you can and what is reasonable to YOU. Taking shorter showers and riding a bike to work is not reasonable for ME.

What are you doing to "go green"?

1 comment:

Agnes said...

I've always been "green" somehow. 10 years ago, it was called being "thrifty" or right down "cheap". But it's OK...I'm French! Ah! Ah!
But this year I went one extra step. The city of Oakland Park gave me a composting bin, part of a pilot program. I have reduced the amount of waste going into the garbage (from the yard and the kitchen) and used that beautiful organic compost to grow some vegetables all winter long. I kept it small and maintenance free, and placed it near the sprinklers so I never had to water by hand. Voila.
By the way, I agree about the long showers ; they are therapeutic.
Agnes